Absences and tardies are noted on the student's permanent record. Classes begin promptly at 8:30 a.m. The end of the school day is at 3:20 p.m.
Parents are required to call the school's 24-hour attendance line (240-283-3233) before 8:30 a.m. each day of a student's absence. If no call is received, the student will be regarded as truant and normal truancy procedures will be initiated which may include loss of credit and/or detention.
When you are calling your student out from school, please state your student’s name and grade and provide the following information regarding their absence:
- Reason for absence (sore throat, nausea, vomiting, migraine, doctor appt.)
- Does your student have a fever?
- Does your student have a confirmed Flu or COVID-19 diagnosis?
- Have you spoken with or seen your student’s physician?
- You may receive a phone call from one of the nurses for further clarification.
- Medical and dental appointments are to be made so the student will not miss class. If, however, a student MUST miss a class during the day, the parent must call the Attendance Office before 8:30 am. The message must include the date, reason for and time of dismissal, time of anticipated return if applicable, and parent work/cell/home telephone number.
Reminder: When students are absent for three or more days parents should notify their child’s counselor for assistance in communicating with teachers and coordinating make-up work.
Please refer to the Student Handbook (page 15) in MyBackpack for more information regarding attendance protocols.