Become who you want to be at Good Counsel. Our Catholic, private, coeducational community inspires each student to excel, serve, and love in his or her unique way.
Important Dates 2023:
- Orientation begins 8.7.23
- First day of school 8.21.23
- Eight grade shadow visits September-November 2023
- Parent information night 9.26.23
- Open House 10.22.23
- International Early Decision Application deadline 12.1.23
- Agent Tours (registration required) 12.1-12.15.23
Please contact Gina McBean-Linton Director of International Student Programs to arrange tour dates.
As the oldest private International Baccalaureate high school in the Maryland suburbs of the Washington D.C. metropolitan area, Good Counsel is proud to offer a dynamic educational experience to international students. Good Counsel is one of the few private college preparatory schools in the area offering admissions to international students and has a long history of helping students launch impressive careers since 1958.
This selective program admits 12-20 international students each year and supports their efforts to find compatible host families through an approved homestay program. With a staff of dedicated counselors, peer mentors, ESL courses, and a 24/7 parent portal, international students become a part of the Good Counsel family. Our international students succeed at Good Counsel, taking on leadership positions in student government, becoming star players on sports teams, and achieving high scores on AP exams. Ninety-eight percent of our international graduates are accepted to US News’ Top 100 National Universities.
Located just 45 minutes from Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland, Good Counsel is nestled between two major metropolitan cities and three international airports. This ideal location gives international students unparalleled access to our state's and nation’s cultural, economic and legislative epicenters.
We invite you to learn more about Good Counsel and how our programs can best serve your student’s academic and career goals.
- Offers I-20 for F1 Student Visa since 2014
- Participation from 22 countries and growing, including the following: Austria, Brazil, Cayman Islands, China, El Salvador, France, Germany, India, Iran, Japan, Kenya, Liberia, Mexico, South Africa, South Korea, Turkey, United Kingdom, Vietnam, Zambia, Myanmar, Lebanon, Ghana
- Selective admission standards capped at a total of 60 seats schoolwide (5% of the school population)
- Homestay standards certified by CSIET (Standards for International Student Exchanges)
- Nearly 100% of graduating international students attend top 100 universities in the U.S., including Johns Hopkins University, New York University, MIT, Carnegie Mellon, University of California. Georgetown, Cornell
- Offers English Language Learners courses and dedicated international student activities