GCTC's Fall Production, Clue
November 4 and 11 at 7:30 p.m.
November 5 and 12 at 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.
September 29: Chamber Recital
October 6: Fall Instrumental Concert
October 13: Fall Vocal Concert
November 4-5, 11-12: Fall Play, Clue
December 9: Christmas Concert
Good Counsel’s theatre program nurtures young theatre makers through a combination of curricular coursework and extracurricular involvement with shows produced by the Good Counsel Theatre Company. Students are encouraged to explore a variety of theatrical disciplines with opportunities to work both onstage and backstage.
Good Counsel provides theatre courses that allow students to explore the depths of their talents in acting, directing, playwriting and aspects of theatre design:
Introduction to Theatre
Designing for the Stage
Advanced Theatre Topics (rotating by year)
Directing and Devising
Acting for the Stage
IB Theatre I and II
Complete descriptions of theatre classes are available from pages 39-40 of the Course Offerings Bulletin.
Good Counsel Theatre Company
The Good Counsel Theatre Company (GCTC) offers students the chance to create theatrical performances that delight and entertain. Each year GCTC presents two main-stage productions. In the fall, GCTC produces a comedy or drama, and in the spring they stage a musical. There are also opportunities to perform in smaller productions during the winter.
Students can join GCTC as performers or as stage crew members. As a part of the stage crew, students learn how to design, build, and paint sets, design and fabricate props, design lighting and sound effects, design and construct costumes, design and apply makeup effects, and manage the stage.
Good Counsel Alumni in the Theatre World
In addition to providing every student an opportunity for creativity and expression, the Good Counsel theatre experience also serves as a springboard for students who wish to pursue higher education or careers in theatre. The expertise of our faculty, the excellence of the PAC, and the superior production capability of our technical and design departments have helped to propel many alumni to success at the next level of theatre. A sampling of recent graduates of the Good Counsel Theatre Company includes:
- Ian Coursey ’20 – BFA musical theatre student, The University of Michigan
- Isaiah Bowes ’20 – BA acting student, School of Theatre, Film, and Television, UCLA
- Spencer Morgan ‘19 - Theatrical Design and Production student, Boston University
- Jimmy Stubbs ’13 – MFA scenic design candidate, The Yale School of Drama
- Jackie Bautista ’12 – professional stage manager (Actors’ Equity Association) based out of Chicago
- Phylicia Pearl Mpasi ’11- professional actress featured in “The Lion King” on Broadway
- Eleasha Gamble ‘98 - Professional actress featured in national tours of “The Lion King” and “Into the Woods”
- Rolando Sanz ’96 - opera singer and founder of Young Artists of America
- Mark Povinelli ’89 – stage, film, and television actor featured in “Water for Elephants”