Our Lady of Good Counsel High School has been recognized again this year as a “PLTW Distinguished school”. There are over 11,500 PLTW schools in the nation, and we were 1 of 426 schools given this distinction. We are also 1 of 14 schools in Maryland, the only private school, and 1 of 6 schools in Maryland that repeated for the second year!The Good Counsel STEM Program was recognized in December 2016 as a Top 25 Source School for the A. James Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland.
Our STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Program introduces students to the field of Engineering through a nationwide, hands-on, project-based curriculum that draws upon their working knowledge of math and science. Our curriculum employs the Project Lead the Way (PLTW) model.
- Before teaching in our STEM program, GC requires our teachers to receive extensive pedagogical and content training.
- Once selected into the program, students take a series of engineering courses that span their four years at Good Counsel.
- Freshman: Introduction to Engineering Design (IED)
- Sophomores: Principles of Engineering (POE)
- Juniors: Aeronautical Engineering (AE) or Civil Engineering and Architecture (CEA)
- Seniors: Engineering Design and Development (EDD)
- Each course emphasizes original thinking, cooperative learning, hands on learning, and project based assignments.
- An external exam (developed by PLTW) is given to all students at the end of each course in May.
- Students work extensively with the Auto Desk Inventor software to develop three-dimensional images of designed structures.
- An application is required for admission into Our Lady of Good Counsel’s STEM program; please visit our Admissions Office pages to review the application form and essay prompt. Note that students must submit a recommendation from a science teacher as part of their application process for the STEM program.
- The STEM program emphasizes real-world applications and exposes students to potential STEM career paths by partnering with local engineering companies. Each STEM class has the opportunity to see engineering in action outside of the school building annually.
Questions? Please contact Bill Jones.
Good Counsel is recognized as a Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Distinguished School for providing broad access to transformative learning opportunities for students through PLTW.
PLTW is a nonprofit organization that serves millions of K-12 students and teachers in over 10,500 schools across the U.S.
Good Counsel is one of just 133 high schools across the U.S. (the top 1.3% of all PLTW schools), and the ONLY Catholic or private school in Maryland and the DC Metro area to receive this honor.
Shortly after submitting an application for our STEM Program, you will receive an email stating that your application is being processed.
Additionally, you will be sent an electronic link to schedule an interview between 3:15 - 5:00 PM during the last two weeks of January and the first two weeks of February.