(pictured above: Ahabu Betselot, Taylor Thomas, Grace Schuler, Alex Goutier)
Over the past three weekends, the GC Speech Team and the GC Debate Team participated in their respective Virginia/DC state championship tournaments.
The GC Speech Team captured its 12th consecutive state title.
Here are the highlights (awards are given to the top 6 in each event) (finishing in the top 6 also earns a spot at Nationals on Memorial Day weekend in Milwaukee):
- Declamation: Ahadu Betselot (So), first; Abby Munro (Fr), fifth; Arlene Ayuk (So), sixth.
Additional national qualifiers in Declamation: Anna Maria Garcia-Truong (So), Alex Jaeger (Fr)
- Dramatic Performance: Declan Slattery (Sr), first; Ben Tran (Sr), third; Isaiah Bowes (Jr), fourth.
Additional national qualifiers in Dramatic Performance: Emma Tarquinio (Jr)
- Duo Interp: Grace Schuler (Sr) & Taylor Thomas (Sr), first; Emma Tarquinio (Jr) & Cara Teixeira (Jr), fourth; Nicole Fernandez (So) & Natalia Cooper (So), fifth
Additional national qualifiers in Duo: Catherine Zellers (So) & Rachel Kilgallon (So), and Uzoma Elekwachi (Jr) & Hannah Yomi (So)
- Extemporaneous speaking: None finished in the top six. No additional qualifiers.
- Oral Interp: Rachel Kilgallon (So), second; Alex Goutier (Jr), fifth; Haley Hopkins (Sr), sixth.
Additional national qualifiers: Hannah Yomi (So), Uzoma Elekwachi (Jr)
- Original Oratory: Alex Goutier (Jr), first; Abby Behailu (Fr), second; Miracle Adedeji (Jr), fifth.
Additional national qualifiers: Lucie Powers (Jr), Isaac Cooksey (Jr)
- Public Forum Debate: Brent Smith (Sr) & Alexia Ayuk (Sr), third.