Luke Suko ’23 is one of 17 Montgomery County Students to Earn a Corporate-Sponsored National Merit Scholarship. Congratulations Luke on receiving the Northrop Grumman Scholarship!
From Montgomery Community Media (MCM) | By Michelle Queen on April 26, 2023
17 Montgomery County Students Earn National Merit Scholarships
17 Montgomery County students have earned corporate-sponsored National Merit Scholarships in the first group of awards for the graduating class of 2023.
Approximately 840 high school seniors won corporate-sponsored National Merit Scholarship awards financed by about 107 corporations, company foundations, and other business organizations.
Awardees are selected from students who advanced to the Finalist level in the National Merit Scholarship competition and met criteria of their scholarship sponsors. Corporate sponsors provide scholarships for students who are children of their employees, who are residents of communities the company serves, or who plan to pursue college majors or careers the sponsor wishes to encourage.
Most of the awards are renewable for up to four years of college undergraduate study and provide annual stipends that range from $1,000 to $10,000 per year. Some provide a single payment between $2,500 and $5,000. Recipients can use their awards at any regionally accredited U.S. college or university of their choice.
Corporate-Sponsored 2022 National Merit Scholar Awardees
The winners, their intended career fields and the scholarship are:
Montgomery Blair High School, Silver Spring
- Julia A. Gelfond, materials science, Specialty Materials Manufacturing and Materials Technology Scholarship
- Joshua Hsieh, applied mathematics, Leidos, Inc. Scholarship
- Katalina N. Li, public health, Mary E. Beyerle Scholarship
- Kevin Y. Yao, computer engineering, CACI Scholarship
Bullis School, Potomac
- Ronan K. Zwa, medicine, General Dynamics Corporation Scholarship
Winston Churchill High School, Potomac
- Emily Huang, education, GEICO Scholarship
- Tej Mehta, computer science, Leidos, Inc. Scholarship
- Eric Yao, computer science, Mary E. Beyerle Scholarship
- Andrew B. Yu, statistics, Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals Scholarship
Landon School, Bethesda
- Lawrence W. Li, biomedical engineering, Mary E. Beyerle Scholarship
Colonel Zadok Magruder High School, Rockville
- Julia E. Perkins, engineering, FTS International, LLC Scholarship
Richard Montgomery High School, Rockville
- Crystal C. Li, academia, Mary E. Beyerle Scholarship
- Tanya Paul, computer science, Leidos, Inc. Scholarship
Our Lady of Good Counsel High School, Olney
- Luke Ellis Suko, international relations, Northrop Grumman Scholarship
Poolesville High School
- Isabel Wu, computer science, GEICO Scholarship
- Andrew Z. Yuan, computer science, Eaton Scholarship
Washington Christian Academy, Olney
- Hana N. Lee, neuroscience, Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals Scholarship