Skip To Main Content

History

Serving the greater Washington metropolitan area for more than 60 years, Our Lady of Good Counsel High School was founded in 1958 by the Xaverian Brothers as a Catholic high school for boys. The Xaverian Brothers, a consecrated lay Catholic order founded by Theodore James Ryken, did so at the invitation of Cardinal Patrick O’Boyle.

After thirty years as a Catholic high school for boys, we became co-educational in 1988 and continued to serve our expanding student body at our Wheaton location. Over the decades at the Wheaton campus, our enrollment continued to grow, as did the need for a larger, more modern facility. In 2007, we relocated from Wheaton to a new 51-acre campus in Olney, where we thrive today as the largest co-educational Catholic high school in Maryland.

The Olney campus’ greater space and 21st century amenities have enhanced our ability to deliver on our mission to inspire our students to excel, serve, and love. While our location and size have changed over time, our embodiment of this mission remains true to our Xaverian Brother founders, as we give all students the support and environment they need to become their best selves.