Have you ever wanted to have a family member from a different country? Here is your chance! Being a host family is a culturally enriching experience for every member of the family, and you will build enduring personal relationships across the world for years to come. We enroll 15 - 20 international students every year from all over the world.
Host Family Requirements:
- A tie with the Good Counsel community is preferred, but not mandatory. Faculty, alumni, neighbors are all invited to apply.
- Located near the school bus routes and metro lines to enable mobility for the students.
- Will be invited into a "Falcon Family" chat room for mutual support and fun social activities and outings.
- Must commit to providing:
- a loving and safe home - anyone older than 18 will require a SSN based background check.
- a bedroom with privacy- ideally not separated on a different floor from the rest of the family members; preferably not having TV and computers in the bedroom. Room sharing is allowed. Hosting multiple student is allowed.
- all meals: breakfasts are important - try hot pockets if mornings are busy. School lunches are covered in the tuition; packing an afternoon snack is a good idea.
- transportation to and back from school - MUST allow time for after school extracurricular activities. Means of transportation can be bikes (helmet is required), school buses (fees are covered), your private car, carpool with other families, public buses (free with student ID), and if necessary, Uber.
- clear and open discussions on your mutual expectations - here is a list of Standards of Conducts for discussions.
- Can choose to host short terms (typically less than one month and is not compensated) or an academic year (compensated, August to June. Temporary housing can be provided when you travel.)
- Must participate in four host familyevents: Pre-arrival Orientation, Post-arrival Orientation, Mid-year Check-in, and Year-end Celebration.
Management, Compensation and Application to be a Host Family:
- Host Families are managed and compensated through homestay agencies that are approved by OLGCHS.
- All approved homestay agencies must follow regulations published by Standards for International Student Exchange (www.CSIET.org)
- Monthly stipend can vary based on needs and demands. If you are interested in sponsoring housing for any particular students, please let us know.
- Apply by filling out an online application and completing a school volunteer application.
- If we have a student who is a good match, we will connect you with the student's parents, guardians or agent to discuss details.