Parent and Alumni Organizations
Learn more about the different ways parents and alumni can assist with Good Counsel's school and student life activities.
Staying in touch with classmates, updating them about Good Counsel events, and helping to raise money to support our school, Class Agents are the core of our alumni network.
Volunteering as a Class Agent is an excellent way to maintain your personal network while serving the school--it strengthens the ties alumni have with one another and Good Counsel, and the peer-to-peer fundraising plays a critical role in the advancement of our school.
If you are interested in serving as a Class Agent, please contact our Director of Alumni, Collin DeWitt | 240-283-3214.
Fathers’ Club offers an opportunity for parents of current or former Our Lady of Good Counsel High School students to support the student body and school community. Our goal is to further the Xaverian values of the school through volunteer efforts and to network with other fathers while engaging in social and service activities.
The Fathers’ Club encourages you to join and to participate in the many activities Good Counsel offers.
Co-Chairs | Brian Shipley and James Koutsos
$20 dues support the following:
- Donation basket to the Grand Celebration Auction
- Prizes for student halftime contests
- Incoming Freshmen Father BBQ
The Mothers' Club's mission is to promote fellowship and foster relations between parents of Good Counsel students by offering social activities, sponsoring support and appreciation functions for the school community, and providing service-oriented opportunities which will allow parents to model Christian action and behavior for their children.
GC Moms enjoy connecting with one another and the community each year by hosting many social and service events such as Mothers' Club Night Out, Christmas Boutique, and the Christmas Toy Drive/Decorating. The efforts of the Mothers’ Club result in generous support for the school's greatest needs.
Chair | Cindy Fullerton
$20 dues support the following:
- Mothers' Club Mass and Brunch
- Seed funds for the Mothers' Club Christmas Boutique
- Purchasing additional toys for the Christmas Toy Drive
- Leftover dues and funds raised from the Christmas Boutique will go towards the Mothers' Club donation to the Endowment.
Questions? Please contact Lauren Costello | 240-283-3218
Under the direction of the school’s Principal, The Parents’ Association serves as a liaison between faculty, staff, students, and parents/guardians of the community of Our Lady of Good Counsel High School (OLGCHS). The Parents’ Association seeks to provide support to the OLGCHS community at large in a manner that is in keeping with the Xaverian values of simplicity, humility, compassion, zeal, and trust. The Parents’ Association seeks to develop between educators and the general public such united efforts that will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, social, and spiritual education.
- President | Kelli Potter
- Vice President | Paula Hamill
- Treasurer | Jane Martinko
- Secretary | Sandy Strazza
- Freshman - Class of 2020 | Terry Ovington (Click to join the Facebook Class of 2020 parent group)
- Sophomore - Class of 2019 | Jane Martinko (Click to join the Facebook Class of 2019 parent group)
- Junior - Class of 2018 | Eileen DeMarco
- Senior - Class of 2017 | Michele Smith (Click to join the Facebook Class of 2017 parent group)
Committees and Chairs
- Homecoming and Winter Formal | Cindy Fullerton
- Open House | Terry Ovington
- Dads, Daughters and Desserts | Jane Martinko and Julie Knolmayer
- Post Prom | Beatrice Hanson (*Co-Chair Needed)
- Senior and Mothers' Mass | Terry Ovington
- Staff Appreciation | Beatrice Hanson, Sue Martin, and Kelli Potter
- Parents' Council of Washington | Maria Adams
(A representative is needed to attend monthly PCW meetings and report to the Parents' Association Board meetings held monthly on the first Wednesday of each month)
For more information about the Parents' Association, please contact the Principal's Office at 240-283-3302.
Volunteering at Good Counsel
Protection of the children entrusted to our care is a huge responsibility we take on every day. Unfortunately, the times we live in make clear that threats to safety and security can emerge from anywhere. We are grateful for the many volunteers who help make things run here at school. At the same time, we understand our obligation to have processes in place to screen those who work here and who volunteer for us.
The Volunteers and Fingerprinting Guideline will explain our systematic approach for volunteers. The key concept in determining the need for a volunteer to go through this process is substantial contact with children – i.e. contact with children in which the duration and scope in both time and exposure to children is neither rare nor limited and may occur in a routine and/or ongoing basis. This includes all overnight activities with children and any activities involving time spent alone with children and/or in supervision of children.